The SCGS education philosophy stems from our strong belief in proving a holistic and balanced education founded on a bedrock of timeless values and rich heritage. We are committed to nurturing every student to grow her interests and aptitude, to achieve her personal best.
The school values of Sincerity, Courage, Generosity and Service anchor our vision and mission. They have given us a treasured heritage of more than 100 years and nurtured many outstanding women of character and relevance who are trailblazers in their respective fields.
SCGS develops in students 21st Century competencies to be ready to thrive in a rapidly changing world. We emphasise the development of students to become
- Sincere Collaborators
- Courageous Change Makers
- Generous Contributors
- Servant Leaders
This is done through the three pillars of our SCGS education: the Talent Development Programme, Character and Leadership Excellence Programme and Living and Lifeskills Programme.
TALENT DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME
Based on Renzulli’s Schoolwide Enrichment Framework, the SCGS Talent Programme equips students with the skills to process, synthesise and create knowledge in the 21st century. By providing academic rigour and allowing students to experience a wide range of learning experiences, they are challenged and inspired to achieve their fullest potential.
Aimed at providing academic breadth and depth, the SCGS Talent Programme has the following features, gleaned from the best practices in curriculum development:
- Infusion of character development and social emotional learning into academic subjects to nurture social responsibility, ethical judgment and a positive and mature self-concept.
- Concept teaching for enduring understanding of disciplines using the Understanding by Design Framework to ensure academic rigour, critical analysis, and complex and abstract thinking.
- Meaningful real world application to contemporary issues for deep learning and authentic experience.
- Constructivist approach to inquiry, knowledge creation and problem solving.
- Individual interest-driven learning pathways for self-empowerment.
- Differentiated and responsive instruction according to students’ interests, readiness and learning styles.
CHARACTER AND LEADERSHIP EXCELLENCE PROGRAMME
The pervasive Character and Leadership Excellence Programme encourages whole school participation and engagement that develops in students a passion for character excellence. Inspired students not only have a sincere desire to apply themselves to service; they are also determined to impact those around them to make a difference in their own spheres of influence.
In SCGS, every student is nurtured to be a quality world-ready Jinyu leader through our inclusive and differentiated approach that spirals the development of intra, inter-personal and leadership skills and attitudes in our holistic 10-year education.
The Character and Leadership Excellence Programme is organised along three tracks:
- General Schoolwide Programme, where the emphasis is on character education and entry-level leadership development through multiple platforms
- Emerging Leaders Track, where the emphasis is on providing further leadership opportunities and training
- Accelerated Leaders Track, where students with exceptional leadership competency go through mentorship and challenging assignments to hone their leadership skills to impact the school community and beyond.
LIVING AND LIFESKILLS PROGRAMME
This third pillar of the SCGS experience seeks to cultivate the distinctive Kim Gek through the Aesthetics and Healthy Living. It nurtures skills which will enable every SCGS girl to lead a balanced life, playing a vital role for personal and professional success. It develops in students strong social and cultural intelligence and soft-skills such as social graces, communication and propriety.
The Arts is an integral part of an SCGS student’s education. Students are regularly exposed to the performing stage throughout their years in SCGS, confidently and articulately showcasing the skills they have learnt, be it in Dance, Music, Art or Drama.
The Healthy Living segment of the programme complements the Physical Education and Home Economics lessons to promote a lifetime commitment to healthy and active living.